As an employer it is essential you provide adequate sanitation and washing facilities for your site based personnel.
The Health & Safety Executive published the below guide, you can view or download it by clicking the thumbnail picture.
Health and Safety law from HSE (Health & Safety Executive) - some directives to help you plan
As an employer you must provide:
- Washbasins with hot and cold running water
- Soap and towels
- Sinks that are large enough to wash face, hands and forearms
- Somewhere to change that is dry and able to store clothing
- Drinking water and cups if needed
- Rest area to sit, make hot drinks and eat food
- Welfare and portable toilets must be well ventilated with lighting if necessary
As an employer / provider you should be following the 1992 Health, Safety and welfare regulations.
Here are a few key points on what you should be providing:
- Enough toilets and wash basins for those expected to use them. No one should be queueing for long periods to use the toilet.
- Where and if possible you should be offering separate facilities for men and women. If this is not possible then you should offer facilities with lockable doors.
- Supply of toilet paper and for females a means of disposing of sanitary dressings.
- Facilities should be well lit and ventilated.
- Hot and cold running water to be able to wash.
- Soap or any other washing agents.
- Basin should be large enough to wash hands, face and forearm
- A means to dry hands.
- Showers if work on site is dirty.
- Chemical toilets must also be easy to access.
You should also provide toilets and washing facilities for people with disabilities.
How many facilities will I need to provide?
The tables below offer guidance as to many toilets an employer will need to provide for both male and female employees.
Table 1: the number of portable toilet and washbasins for mixed use.
|Number of people at work||Number of toilets||Number of washbasins|
Table 2: the number of portable toilet and urinals (Men Only)
|Number of men at work||Number of toilets||Number of urinals|
Visit the HSE website for more details on health and safety regulations.
To hire construction site toilets from the experts, call freephone 0800 731 0589.